Thanksgiving ER Style
I was one of the “lucky” ones to work the Thanksgiving holiday this year and it turned out to be quite a bit of fun actually. We managed to pull off a pretty successful dinner to. A few observations from the day…
- One of the nurse’s brought in a turkey fryer and a HUGE bird, and from 10am on, the ED the smelled absolutely amazing. Which was great, but also bad as the “ED regulars” were that much harder to get out the door once we denied them their narcotic scripts.
- The city shelter’s must of been doing their holiday meals around noon, as there wasn’t a single “transient” in the ED until about 2 pm. Then there was a sharp uptick which continued on for the rest of the afternoon
- Which meant, that for the morning at least, it was only legit ED patients. My first few patients were COPD exacerbation, extramural child birth, assault victim,
- There was a near three hour stretch were the waiting room was actually empty.
- Some thing’s you don’t believe until you see. I always thought those stories of “oops I gave birth” were just exaggerations. But this one today, the mom thought she had to move her bowels, so when she sat on the toilet, oops, there’s baby’s head. Both mom and baby did great, despite the baby having a close call with a swirley.
- Friday is going to be busy. It’s not that people stopped getting sick on Thursday or something, they all just put it off being seen until Friday. CHF city I suspect.