A Look Back: Orientation

I promise I am not going to nit pick every little detail of the past 4 years, just a few highlights.

During orientation week, we had this segment that was supposed to be about getting to know your fellow students. We were all piled into the auditorium and given these keypads for “anonymous” answering to survey questions that were put up on the screen and we would get to see instantaneous results the helped to depict the make up of our ~250 person class. There were lots of typical questions, how old you are, what your college major was, but there were also lots of interesting questions about alcohol and drug experience. Yes to both, thanks! (THC! The reason I am graduating from medical school at the age of 31). But there was also a question as to sexual orientation and even if you were a virgin.

And get this…Over half of our entering class self reported being a virgin. I found that stat to be hard to believe, but at the same time, believed it to be true. But seriously, how does that happen? I don’t care how big a nerd you are, how do you make it through college with your virginity intact? Okay fine, some people don’t cash in their v cards, like maybe 10%. But seriously? Half of you? How are you ever going to handle doing a pelvic exam when you haven’t even…you know… done a pelvic exam. I feel like it should be a rule, you are not allowed to ask about a patients sexual history when you don’t have one yourself. (Obviously, I am kidding but maybe a tad bit serious at the same time).

About ER Jedi

I’m a resident doctor in Emergency Medicine and I’ve learned during the past few years that 1) I’ve had some pretty amazing experiences 2) I have a very bad short-term memory. So this blog is just a place for me to write about some of these experiences, from the ER, medical school, the wards and life in general. At least that way I’ll have some idea as to where I’ve been all this time. A scrap-book of sorts, a place to vent, organize some clinical tools and post a few good songs I’ve heard along the way.

Posted on April 21, 2011, in Medical School. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.

  1. Seriously, a BLACK background?

    And in my med school, the rate would be around 70% amongst the girls. The rest of the 30% would be thanking me! 😉

  2. I’m still choosing a final theme, but yeah, I tend to like the black backgrounds. Reflective of the soul and what not, haha.

    • Ah, you blaggard (re: stewie griffin).

      so what made you finally shift over to the light side of blogging, i.e. wordpress? i remember you turning down my advice rather convincingly once upon a time not so long ago!

  3. Honestly, something really small. I hated the tiny window you had to type your entries into on blogger. l like how on word press you have this huge text window to type away into.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: