>A week later
>Just over a week since match and I have to say, at this point, I am pretty pumped to be heading to ERJH (ER Jedi Hospital) in a few weeks, and no longer bummed that I didn’t match at my other places. Here’s a short recap of what happened this week that removed any lingering doubts and got me excited.
- For those soon to be interns in the area, we were invited to conference, so JB (Jedi’s Buddy from home school also heading to ERJH for emeregency) headed over to check things out and we were both glad we did. About six attendings were present for the 2 hours of board cases at the start and the current interns were the ones who had to pretend to be sitting for their oral boards. I noticed a few things during this session that encouraged me about the years to come
- The attendings were all nice, no one was belittled or made to feel incompetent when they didn’t know something
- Most of the attendings were funny.
- I knew most of the answers to the specific questions that were asked.
- Walking into conference I was behind two of attendings who were on the night before and overheard the following conversation. “So did anything happen last night after I left?” “Yeah, some guy came in shot 18 times. As we log rolled him, bullets were literally falling out of him onto the bed”
- Now with this next point, I realized I am putting myself out there to be made fun of. Mrs ERJ certainly has given me a hard time over it. Secretly, a small part of the reason why I had the RED program ranked at the top of my list, was that the residents got to wear these back scrubs. I had never seen anyone rockin’ black scrubs before and I wanted to be a part of that. And I was a little bit sad when I opened my envelope and saw that the dream of being an ER ninja (as Mrs ERJ now refers to me) was shattered. But alas, at conference on Wednesday, black scrubs were being rocked by the interns. Apparently, you can choose what ever color you want, but the black ones are most definitely hot, I have to admit. They have some bad ass embroidery going on as well over there at ERJH. (did I just say bad ass embroidery?)
- Out of curiosity I looked at the starting salaries for all three programs. ERJH is the highest, by a good margine, meaning I’ll have about $100 dollars extra a month to spend on
coke and whorestaking Mrs ERJ out to dinner.